Breaking News

DEAR FRESHERS, YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF EDUCATION.



I guess it was a difficult choice to come to the University particularly the University of Education, the best University in the country that churns out the finest of teachers for our various schools.  I see this University as the father of all Universities, considering its pivotal role in teacher education.  You have made the right decision to have come to the University of Education, Winneba, Kumasi. I sincerely welcome you all to the enviable and noble institution with good academic facilities to make you an independent critical thinker after you graduate. 

I am Denis Andaban, the former speaker of Student parliament of this University and the two times best student writer for the University.  I have played various leadership roles I cannot catalogue here since that may be inconsequential to the object of this piece. I am also a level 400 student of English who is about commencing my internship in a different Tertiary institution, McCoy College of Education.  My background is only an indication of my experiences in this precious University and I think I am in a better position to welcome you with this piece of admonition.

To begin with, you must develop a sense of purpose and never relegate it to the background.  We are not in the University to admire fine lecture theaters and the beauties of our time.  We are mainly here to study under the toils of our parents, guardians and sometimes ourselves.  We must challenge ourselves therefore, to ensure that we harvest abundantly afterwards.  This we cannot do if we don't make time for studies. Please study, go to lectures, join study groups and give yourself a target. Make yourself busy.

Your education would be half education if you restrict yourself to the lecture halls.  Psychologists have it that, education should holistic and must train every faculty in you.  Aspects of real education are outside the classroom and that is why co-curricular activities are essential part of every educational program.  Kindly join very good groups that can help you harness and develop your own potentials.  In this University, we have so many social groups but from experience, you cannot join all.  Just study careful and join at least one. I am a member of more than five Associations but I never regret. 

Let me specially introduce to you, a very important intellectual group on campus.  That is the Students' Parliament. It is the best on campus and one of the best parliament houses in this country.  Parliament will train you to research, to mingle, to speak and relate very well.  It is the bank of leadership training on campus.  This is the time you need to develop self confidence because every University Student or graduate is naturally a leader.  That has always been my position.  Some of us have developed and continue to develop ourselves through student parliament. In my short absence, all I think about is the house: the intellectual argument, the heckling, the "hear hear" and the "handbags"

Let me not take much of your time explaining what "handbag" means, Im sure parliament will organize a program and introduce to you all our technical jargons.  We have used the term strategically to involve our the female, motivate them and develop them to have the "I can do it spirit."

We do so, considering the fact that because of our sociocultural backgrounds, the females have a certain low self esteem when it has to do with engaging in such intellectual programs with their male counterparts.  We make friends with them, come down to their level, and make way for them to shine.  That is the whole essence of "handbag"
After filling your nomination form, just tell the finance director that you will need a handbag hahahahahaha...... just by the way.

On a more serious note, most of the student leaders and activist were trained by student parliament.  I think this time around, almost all the SRC executives. 
With the knowledge in parliamentary business and some fundamental law, you can gain from Student Bar Association; you are well prepared for leadership at every level, even in the main stream politics.  Our products go into main stream politics or leadership with certain uniqueness.  We research, analyze and apply every law.  Very soon, you will get to know that we have student lawyers on campus.  Their interpretation of laws will make you terrifically flabbergasted.

Finally, my dear, know where you come from.  We came from different backgrounds.  We have different financial capacities.  Spend the little you have judiciously.  If you want to dress, eat and wine and dine like others do, my brother or sister, you will end up being a thief or a drop out.  The University is a convoluted community.  Just be mindful!!!!!

I will be joining you on campus soon.  Any lady, who wants to be my handbag, can register through Rt.  Hon Enyonam, the current speaker of Students' parliament.  I need to retire honorably with a well packaged ex-gratia.
I am deeply missing all Hon members of the NOBLE HOUSE. 

CATCH YOU SOON.....

DENIS ANDABAN
denisandaban@gmail.com
0549734023

2 comments:

  1. Someone else is happy with less than what you have. May the good lord bless u in all ur wishes sir

    ReplyDelete